I thought I’d hijack the sunny weather and share this tutorial to turn a standard straw bag into shoulder candy fit for a fiesta. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I’ll be jetting off anywhere hot and sandy this year (I’m still coming to terms with it) but I always love to take a giant, bright beach bag to hold all the many things you end up carting to the beach. I got the original straw bag from Primark for the bargain price of £9.00 but you can find them elsewhere or can even give an old one currently lurking under your bed, a new lease of life!
- Plain straw bag
- White gloss spray paint
- Masking tape
- Strong all purpose glue
- Pom Pom trim ( I used roughly 2 metres)
- Mask off stripes with your tape. Make sure that no unwanted areas are left exposed. Tape some paper or newspaper over the handles too. Tape along the sides to create an end point for your stripes. Press all tape down firmly.
- Spray paint the exposed areas in a well ventilated area. Do a few light coats until you get a strong, even colour. Leave to dry.
- Peel off the masking tape. Don’t worry if your stripes have a bit of a hazy edge in places and this will be covered.
- Glue along the edge of each white stripe and follow the line with the pom pom trim, pressing down firmly. Do each row and cut when you reach the end of each strip.
- Now you can wear your new creation. It couldn’t be much simpler!